Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The human being behind the midwife

There are births that stay with us forever. All births that I have attended have moved me, changed me, shaped me to be the midwife and person that I am today. But there are some births that stay at the forefront of my consciousness for a long, long time.

I am not a confrontational person. I don't mind standing up for myself, or speaking up when I need to. But, I really like peace between people and have always struggled with my 'need to please' everyone. When I was in school, I would have rather skipped class than show up to class with my homework incomplete. Oh, the shame! Truth be told, having this blog is one of my attempts to thicken my skin just a bit, as when you are writing on the Internet, it is utterly impossible to please everyone.

I am forever grateful to every learning experience life throws at me. Midwifery is an incredible journey and ego-tamer.

Thank you to all of the families who have allowed me to serve them, and continue to allow me to serve them.

In peace.

No comments :