Saturday, August 25, 2007

Practice Philosophy

My practice philosophy has been on my mind lots lately. Not just my general, overall philosophy, because I feel very sure of that. I support women in their informed choices, birth unfolds best left alone, and essentially, I do want to be what is termed a 'hands-off' midwife.

But, I have been thinking more and more about the lovely details. Different situations, how I would react in various circumstances. How much nutritional counseling do I want to offer? Which pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding books do I want to give to all clients? How will I approach clients who have failed to hold up their agreed upon payments? Will I use a doppler prenatally if clients choose it?

I need to start writing all of this down. It is, of course, one of my assignments for school (to create a thorough Principles of Practice), but I would want to do it anyways. Getting computer time for it seems so scare. I have been considering hand writing it all, and then typing it up later.

Another thing I have really been wanting to get started is a website. There is no rush, as I am not taking clients of my own for a little while still, but it is something that gets me all excited! The main thing holding me back is the fact that I must choose a domain name. I have a very hard time with such things. It is right up there with the name of my future practice. I have NO idea. I am hoping that the right name will just 'appear'. Maybe the universe will send it to me in my dreams. I can dream, right?

1 comment :

Lizz said...

Can't wait to hear more! Love.