Sunday, March 16, 2008

you know it's bad when...

Geez, it is pathetic that I almost always can easily predict what will happen to friends and friends of friends that give birth in hospitals these days...I am (very sadly) wrong very infrequently. Same old story...labor wasn't going fast enough (or hadn't started soon and she is "over-due"), then the pit., then a good chance of an epidural, then the ominous c-sect...or sometimes, you can throw in the scary FHTs a while after the Pit is given, and then the doctors ("Thanks GOD we were in the hospital!!") do the emergency section. I wish I was wrong. I wish that each time a woman went into the hospital, she emerged whole and uncut (physically and emotionally). And, I know that some do. But, it seems to be more and more uncommon. Oh, it just makes me want to cry....

And here I am wanting to start doula'ing hospital births. I have always said that wasn't for me, that I would just come home from most births outraged and so, so sad. But, something in me wants to see what I can do to help. I don't know. If it is the right thing, I know it shall unfold in time.

(Originally posted in December, 2005)

No comments :